We are excited to share the news that we are now growing and offering a select variety of microgreens for our customers! Microgreens are a fun, easy way to add more color, nutrition, and flavor to what you eat every day. Put them on top of a salad, in a sandwich, or mixed in a smoothie for a boost of vitamins that cannot be matched with their mature counterparts. Sure, we're not going to tell you to STOP eating our delicious mature veggies, but paired with a sprinkle of these specialized picks, you're sure to kick your health into high gear.
So, what varieties do we have and what do they have to offer? Lets get into it!
1. Arugula: amazing sources of vitamins A, K, and C as well as calcium and iron. They help to balance the fluids in the body as well as boost your immune system.
Flavor: a nutty, peppery taste, not intense spice.
Application: Mix with other lettuces within a salad, or float in soups and stews. Use as a garnish over quiche, sprinkled on pizza, or stirred into pasta. You can also add these to your breakfast plate within your breakfast burrito, sprinkled on eggs, or on top of your potato side dish.
2. Broccoli: better source of vitamin C, E, as well as Vitamin K. Also a great sources of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, iron, copper and zinc. Great for individuals with kidney concerns! They have even been known to help with cancer prevention.
Flavor: crisp, crunchy, with a mildly vegetal, herbaceous, sweet flavor with a subtle peppery finish.
Application: add them to your morning breakfast smoothie, salads, sprinkle on your eggs, or top your sandwiches.
3. Confetti Radish: amazing source of potassium, calcium, fiber, vitamins A and C, antioxidants, magnesium, E, K, phosphorous and iron!
Flavor: peppery, spicey, earthy flavor. This variety definitely has a spicey kick as it washes over your palate!
Application: Use as an edible garnish to add beautiful hues of purple, pink and green to any dish. Top your fresh salads and sandwiches to provide a depth of flavor, sprinkle on soups, or even garnish savory meat entrees.
4. Sunflower: excellent source of fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, vitamin C, A, K, and folate! Great for your heart, eyes, and for weight loss. Great for reducing allergies, for your skin, and amazing to eat during pregnancy!
Flavor: nutty, sweet flavor with an incredible crunch!
Applications: eat as a salad topping, in sandwiches, as a snack alone, on soups and stews, smoothies, and even blended into a green goddess salad dressing.
5. Specialty Edible Marigold: edible marigold microgreens are a specialty item due to the seeds being extremely expensive. The seeds alone can cost $474/lb (compared to broccoli microgreens that cost approx $13/lb). Most microgreen dealers will not carry these as they are highly specialized and expensive to grow, however we are a market garden first and have therefore been able to secure growth of edible marigold in the previous year that has allowed us to harvest our own edible marigold seeds. We plan on doing this each year and growing that amount of marigold microgreens each year. Once they're gone for the season, they'll be gone until we can harvest more at the end of the flower growing season.
Edible marigold has an amazing source of beta carotene, provides potassium, manganese, calcium, vitamin K and zinc! In addition to vitamins and minerals, they contain proline, which is an amino acid that contributes to strengthening joints and increasing collagen.
Flavor: a tangerine, citrusy, almost floral flavor. A unique flavor in the microgreen family, setting this variety even further apart.
Application: This variety is the best to use in fresh fruit smoothies, add onto sandwiches or salads, sprinkle on the top of fresh spring soups, and MORE! Use them as a garnish over fruit salad, or on top of tarts and other baked goods.
We will have a binder of information at each market with the health benefits and applications of each of our available microgreens so that people can make an educated decision on which variety is the best fit for their palate or their health! We cannot wait to share these with you.
Microgreens will be on sale on our website for order! These orders will be fulfilled at an order by order basis up until the market season begins. Microgreens take anywhere from 12-18 days to grow, and we will fulfill orders as trays are completed.
During the market season, we will grow a larger amount of each variety as space under our grow lights will open up, and we have the tray space as well.
We cannot wait to see what our customers think of our microgreens and get to see what they do for their bodies and minds.